European life science research institutes call for more balanced FP9
EU-LIFE, an alliance of 13 European research centres in life sciences, has released a position paper outlining its priorities for FP9, calling, amongst others, for a doubling of the Framework Programme budget to euro 150 billion.
The key points of the position paper are as follows:
- To double the investment by the European Commission to 150 billion euro for the entire programme 2021-2027;
- To invest more in basic research than today;
- To encourage collaboration of excellent research based on more bottom-up, non-prescriptive approaches that address key societal challenges;
- To encourage technology transfer that turns scientific insights into economic value;
- To have excellence as the sole criterion for selection in FP9;
- To focus on open science in order to foster wider impact of excellent research. Furthermore, expected timing of impact of research outputs should be readjusted for the longer term.
For more information: