LERU proposes 10 action points for Horizon Europe
On 30 July 2018, the League of European Research Universities (LERU) has released a detailed analysis of the European Commission’s (EC) proposal for Horizon Europe, complemented with a headline analysis of the draft reports by the European Parliament rapporteurs for Horizon Europe, Dan Nica and Christian Ehler.
In general, LERU welcomes the EC proposal for the next Framework Programme for Research and Innovation (FP) and sees it as a good step in the direction towards another very successful FP. However, LERU finds that there are still a number of aspects of the proposal that could be improved. These areas for improvement of the EC proposal and the EP draft reports are summarised in 10 action points:
1. Increase the total budget of Horizon Europe to 160 billion euro.
2. Review the budget allocation, increasing funding for pillar I and spreading more equally the funding among clusters in pillar II.
3. Continue the FP’s strengths in Pillar I ‘Open and Excellent Science’, ERC and MSCA.
4. Ensure space for human & societal reflections and fresh insights from fundamental research in all clusters of pillar II ‘Global Challenges and Industrial Competitiveness’.
5. Amplify the role of universities in Pillar III ‘Open Innovation’, guarantee the value-added of a European Innovation Council (EIC) to justify its budget, and finetune its activities with the European Institute for Innovation and Technology (EIT).
6. Put the realisation of the European Research Area (ERA) for all Member States at the centre of Horizon Europe but without changing the scope of the FP.
7. Ensure the new partnership approach leads to a rationalisation of the funding landscape.
8. Stimulate synergies while at the same time avoiding additional red tape.
9. Engage stakeholders to ensure further simplification of the FP.
10. Enhance international collaboration and make associated membership possible for all countries that are close to the EU (including Switzerland and the UK) and give full access to the FP.
The LERU Paper can be downloaded here: 10 key LERU messages for Horizon EuropeTOP